Thursday, July 7, 2011

I'm falling upstairs to meet you

More life drawing sketches! Heed me: this is NSFW.

I am SO GLAD we are organizing monthly life drawing sessions. I have a woman's body, right? But drawing a woman's body last night made me realize several things that are going to help me draw women more accurately from now on. I have realizations like that every time I draw people from life.
If you are an artist, but you can't take a figure drawing class for whatever reason, search around your city for drop-in sessions you can join. In Portland we have Hipbone, The Canvas, and countless bars and cafes that do regular life drawing nights.

ON TO THE NUDES









Right around here, Ben Dewey recommended I focus on contour shading with my extra time. I said "Yes, Sensei," and broke out some blue lead so I could get my messy sketch of the model down first, then go in with pencil for neat lines and add shadow onto a cleaner drawing:


1 comment:

Pj Perez said...

I love how the human brain works. How every time we draw from life, we take away something new.