Thursday, June 28, 2012

You'll see the world like a bird

Sketch dump! :D I'll be coloring some of these and posting them to my Tumblr, so be sure to visit.

I looooove gender-swapped fan art, but it really bugs me when people essentially just apply costume ornaments from a dude-character to a chick in a swimsuit.   That kind of fan art is about as true to the character as this is true to Santa:
"If Thor's beefy for a man, he should be frickin' beefy for a woman," said Tally to no one.



That's a little comic from my ALA Anaheim trip last weekend.  By the way, that was a good time.  I bought signed copies of Smile from Raina Telgemeier and July Diary from Gabrielle Bell, was surprised to sell out of books at my Image signing, met tons of awesome people, and even got to go to Disneyland.  I would definitely go to ALA again, and am considering the Seattle conference this winter.

People in L.A. show a lot of skin!  I had a bit of culture shock.  I feel really self-conscious when I wear a tank top.  Nonetheless it was nice being in that warm, predictable climate for a while.

Something weird happened on Monday.  I'd spent all weekend doing the convention and hadn't had a chance to sketch for fun in daaaaays.  My family made a last stop before the airport in Huntington Beach, and I told them I wanted to just sit on an inconspicuous bench and draw people for a while.  5 minutes later, a nice woman asked me if I did caricatures!  I said sure and drew her, her husband, and her son for about 15 minutes.  She offered to pay me but we settled on her buying me ice cream xD  It was bizarre but also really nice to think that I might be able to survive if I was stranded somewhere with just my sketchbook and pencil.


And on with the DC fan art.... :D

 
My mental image of Catwoman comes from...

A) Darwyn Cooke,

 B) Adam Hughes

 C) Batman the Animated Series

 

No comments: